Untraced Hit and Run Accident Compensation Claims

Despite the application of technology it is estimated that there are still some 1.2m uninsured drivers on the roads of the UK. What happens if you are involved with a collision and an uninsured driver?

These claims are dealt with by the MIB ( Motor Insurers Bureau ) which is an insurance and Government backed pool to compensate the victims of uninsured drivers. Uninsured drivers and those whose details cannot be found after an accident (known as untraced drivers) are responsible for the deaths of around 130 people every year, as well as leaving a further 26,500 people with injuries.

Can I claim against an uninsured or even an untraced driver?

The short answer is yes although things can become complicated and reporting the accident to the Police is absolutely essential. Two Government backed schemes deal with such matters known as the MIB ( Motor Insurers Bureau ) Uninsured and Untraced Driver’s Schemes. There are rules concerning what you can claim for and time limits and so contact Smooth Law today if you have been the victim of an uninsured or untraced driver.

Smooth Top Tip

Always get the registration number of the other vehicle as an absolute minimum. If the other driver fails to stop or drives off telephone the Police immediately. This is not just good practice but a failure to contact the Police could mean that you are prohibited from making a claim to either scheme.

Smooth Top Link

Personal Injury

We have decades of experience in dealing with injury claims arising from any scenario and our lawyers are member of APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers). We deal with the following accident claims:

  • Trips and slips
  • Accidents at work
  • Sporting Injuries
  • Supermarket Slips and falls
  • Falls from Heights
  • Injuries through lifting heavy objects
  • Injuries caused through lack of training.

All ready to begin? Start your claim now.